Growing you own fruit and vegetables couldn't be easier. A softneck variety of garlic 'Germidour' is simply one of the best varieties of garlic you can grow. 'Germidour' will produce large yet compact garlic bulbs that have a mild flavour and white paper-like skins that are streaked with pink that will be ready to harvest from May to July. Softneck varieties of garlic will not produce flower stems, but they will mature sooner and will usually have a milder flavour and has better storage properties of up to 3 months or more after harvesting. Easy to grow, they are an ideal choice for gardeners of any experience. Garlic can be planted in either the autumn or spring and will thrive in a sunny and well-drained spot in the garden. Delivered as 2 x bulbs ready to split into approximately 12 cloves for planting.
- Garlic doesn’t like to be too wet, so if your soil is heavy or prone to waterlogging, try planting in raised beds or large pots using good-quality, well-draining compost.
- Plant next year’s garlic in a different spot as crop rotation will minimise the risk of disease.
How to grow ‘Germidour’ garlic
- ‘Germidour’ can be planted in the autumn for early crops, or from March to April, once the frosts have gone.
- Choose a sunny position in the garden that hasn’t been used to grow onions, garlic or leeks before.
- If your soil is heavy, or prone to waterlogging, prepare the plot in advance by digging in plenty of well-rotted manure or garden compost (avoid using fresh manure) to improve fertility and drainage. Or grow in good-quality compost in raised beds, trugs or containers of at least 20cm (8in) diameter and depth.
- Divide each bulb into individual cloves – one bulb will typically split into approximately 10-12 cloves for planting.
- Plant each clove with flat end downwards, pointy end up, about 3cm (1˝in) deep so that the tip is showing, at intervals of at least 15cm (6in) and leaving 45cm (18in) between each row.
- Firm the soil and keep watered through the growing season as necessary; do not allow the soil to dry out or become waterlogged.
- Keep weed-free and protect from birds while the plants are young.
- Reduce watering towards harvest time to avoid the bulbs getting over-wet, which may cause them to rot.
- Harvest autumn-planted bulbs from May, or spring-planted bulbs from June onwards, when the leaves begin to turn yellow and dry.
- Loosen the bulbs with a trowel and then lift out gently. Shake off the soil from the roots and leave to dry out in the sunshine, or hang in a warm, dry, airy position.
- Bulbs will keep well for 3 months or more stored in a cool, dry and airy place.
Our experienced team at the nursery will always carefully package and send your plants nursery fresh in the perfect condition to thrive once you receive and plant them. Although most plants are extremely tough and will not be affected by all but the most extreme of weather conditions, we always avoid dispatching the most perishable plants if extreme frosts or heat is forecast. We also avoid dispatching orders over Bank Holiday weekends.
Please allow 7 to 10 days for your delivery to arrive. If you have ordered a 'pre-order' item, these will be sent out as soon as possible after the quoted dispatch date and we generally ship your entire order with any pre-ordered items. Once your order has been dispatched, we will send you an email with details on how you can track it.
We send most of our orders via a fully tracked courier service with Yodel. We will send you a tracking link as soon as your order has been dispatched. To avoid perishable items being stuck at depots and deteriorating, we will not require a signature on delivery, and we ask out couriers to leave your item in a safe place ad your delivery address.
*Please note, once your item has been delivered, we cannot be held responsible for loss or theft from your delivery address. If you have delivery instruction and require our courier to leave your item in a specific place, please let us know - there is an option to leave a message for the courier at the checkout.
For smaller and single-item orders, we may send these via the post with Royal Mail - Tracking will not be available for orders sent via this method.
**Please note, we cannot guarantee delivery on a certain day or time. Delivery to outlying postcode areas may take 1-2 days longer, dependent on your location.
For all orders, a delivery fee of £6.99 will be charged. Some items have additional surcharges, as noted on the product page
There are currently no reviews for this item.