Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Katsura' is a fabulous tree that will fill your garden with a spectacular sight and fragrance during the autumn. Also known as a Toffee Apple Tree, it produces the most beautiful heart shaped leaves that turn from green to incredible shades of purple, pink, red and yellow before finally falling to the ground, this is when you can enjoy the delicious and distinctive fragrance of fairground candy floss or sweet toffee apple, hence its name. This Toffee Apple Tree will thrive in sunny spot in the garden where you can really appreciate the beauty of its foliage. Delivered as an established plant in a 5L pot.
The Katsura tree is a moisture loving plants and should be kept regularly well-watered until established (3-4 years). During this time, remove all competing weeds and grass which will take moisture away from the roots.
- Select an appropriate spot with enough space to allow your Katsura tree to grow. Slightly acidic soils will promote better leaf colour.
- Dig a hole twice the width of the roots, forking over the bottom to loosen the soil, then add some good quality fertiliser, compost, or well-rotted manure. We've found that a square hole is better than a round one as the new roots, once they reach the edges tend to grow in a circle round the circumference of the hole whereas when they reach the corners of a square hole, they find it easier to grow through.
- Plant at the same depth as the tree was in its pot.
- For all trees, use our Tree Planting Kits – including stakes, rubber ties and Mycorrhizal fungi, which is proven to aid tree growth and development.
- Push 40cm of each stake into the soil next to each tree. Make a figure of eight around both the trunk and stake with a tie and fasten it off. Spread Mycorrhizal granules in contact with the roots when planting.
- Holding the tree upright in position with one hand, slowly backfill the hole with soil, so the soil falls back around the roots.
- Compact the soil around the plant with your heel to ensure good contact around the roots and water in well.
- Mulch around the base of the plant with a collar, compost, gravel, bark etc.
- Best in full sun to grow well, in well-drained, fertile, and slightly acid soils.
- Established trees are largely trouble free.
- Apply a balanced fertiliser such as fish blood and bone in late February.
- Keep plants well-watered for at least 4 years and remove all competing vegetation.
- A mulch of well-rotted compost around the base of the tree will help to retain moisture.
- There is no real need to prune the toffee apple tree as it does not respond well to hard pruning - just trim back any branches that have been damaged by frosts in late spring.
Our experienced team at the nursery will always carefully package and send your plants nursery fresh in the perfect condition to thrive once you receive and plant them. Although most plants are extremely tough and will not be affected by all but the most extreme of weather conditions, we always avoid dispatching the most perishable plants if extreme frosts or heat is forecast. We also avoid dispatching orders over Bank Holiday weekends.
Please allow 7 to 10 days for your delivery to arrive. If you have ordered a 'pre-order' item, these will be sent out as soon as possible after the quoted dispatch date and we generally ship your entire order with any pre-ordered items. Once your order has been dispatched, we will send you an email with details on how you can track it.
We send most of our orders via a fully tracked courier service with Yodel. We will send you a tracking link as soon as your order has been dispatched. To avoid perishable items being stuck at depots and deteriorating, we will not require a signature on delivery, and we ask out couriers to leave your item in a safe place ad your delivery address.
*Please note, once your item has been delivered, we cannot be held responsible for loss or theft from your delivery address. If you have delivery instruction and require our courier to leave your item in a specific place, please let us know - there is an option to leave a message for the courier at the checkout.
For smaller and single-item orders, we may send these via the post with Royal Mail - Tracking will not be available for orders sent via this method.
**Please note, we cannot guarantee delivery on a certain day or time. Delivery to outlying postcode areas may take 1-2 days longer, dependent on your location.
For all orders, a delivery fee of £6.99 will be charged. Some items have additional surcharges, as noted on the product page
There are currently no reviews for this item.