Pro+ Plugs Plants
Just like Small Plug Plants, Medium Plug Plants are an excellent value for money way of filling your garden with colour. Medium Plugs are larger and more advanced than Small Plug Plants. They are small but well rooted plants which are raised in cellular trays.
When you receive our medium plug plants, they will measure approximately 5-7cm in height from the root of the plant to the top of the stem.
We sell a full range of Summer and Winter flowering Medium Plug Plants.
Summer flowering Medium Plug Plants are sold in the Spring. They are despatched at the end of March to the end of May - varieties include Geraniums, Impatiens, Petunia, Begonia, Antirrhinum, Pansy, Lobelia and more. Most varieties will flower from May through to the first frost.
We sell Winter flowering Medium Plug Plants in the Autumn. These are despatched in mid-August to October. Varieties include Wallflower, Primrose, Pansy, Viola, Sweet William, Polyanthus and more. Most varieties will flower from the autumn through to the spring and bring much-needed colour to your winter garden.
When your annual plug plants arrive
- When your Medium Plug Plants arrive
- Trays hold 60 plants so when your plants arrive there may be one or two empty cells, however, rest assured you will have received at least, and probably more than the number of plants you ordered.
- Upon arrival, keep trays indoors in a well-lit, draught free area for 24 hours.
- If the compost is a little dry, stand the tray in shallow water. If unable to water from beneath, spray water lightly over the tray, and then place in a position where there is adequate airflow to dry the excess water from the leaves.
- Once the compost is moist allow the tray to drain.
- There may be some loose compost or a slight yellowing of the leaves which is a consequence of the plants being shipped. This will not affect the condition of the mature plants.
- Water 1-2 hours prior to planting on.
- Gently remove the plugs from the tray by pushing up from the bottom using a pencil or something similar.
- Transfer the plants into small pots or seed trays filled with good multi-purpose compost.
- Water the plants well once, and then do not water again until the compost is nearly dry, or the plants are wilting.
- Place the plants in a warm well-lit area but out of direct sunlight.
- Apply a liquid fertiliser after 2-3 weeks.
- Grow on indoors for 5-7 weeks.
- For Summer Bedding Plants, once the risk of frost has passed your bedding plants can be planted outside.
- Harden off the plants prior to planting out, by placing the plants outside during the day and bringing in at night for 2 weeks.
- Water plants 1-2 hours prior to planting out.
- Once planted water the plants well.
- To establish the growth of young plants, it is important that you water regularly especially during dry sunny spells and again in late evening.
- If after planting out there is a risk of frost, cover the plants at night with an old sheet.