Acer 'Phoenix' is an eye-catching ornamental tree that will make a fabulous addition to your summer garden. Noted for its bright red stems, during the winter, the vivid red shoots have been likened to dogwoods, which are loved for their amazing seasonal colour. The bark on the older stems has silvery striped details which accentuates the red colouring further. A perfect way to add vibrant colour into your garden, with a kaleidoscope of colour through the year, new leaves emerge tinted pink and develop a green-veined middle before turning a golden-yellow in the autumn. In addition, its tiny yellow flowers are followed by winged, sycamore-like fruits in early summer. Delivered as an established plant in a 15cm diameter pot, ready to be potted on or planted out.
- The decorative stems and branches of the snakebark maple need to catch the light for best effect so give them a prominent site, ideally in dappled shade.
- Leaf colour is best in partial shade, although full sun can be tolerated. Leaf scorch can be caused by lack of soil moisture or excessive exposure.
Planting Advice for Japanese maple Acer palmatum 'Phoenix':
- Winter hardy and low maintenance, 'Phoenix' prefers a spot in semi-shade (will tolerate full sun, but avoid bright, direct exposure).
- If your soil is slightly acidic, then you have the perfect conditions to grow Japanese maples – however, do not worry if it isn't, as most can be grown in other soils as long as they are not wet, dry or very alkaline.
- If growing in a pot, use a 50/50 mix of ericaceous and multipurpose compost if you can – although, again, don't worry overly about this.
- Leaf colour is best in partial shade, although full sun can be tolerated as long as the plant is well-watered. Avoid exposed places as leaves can suffer with windburn (scorch), especially if the plant is dry.
- Allow your Japanese maple to get used to a whole day in the sun by starting it off in the shade, then standing it in its final sunny spot (in pot or in the garden soil) for one hour longer every day for a week.
- If planting in the garden, prepare a wide hole and loosen the soil with a fork, incorporating organic matter as needed to improve moisture retention and condition.
- Plant your acer so that the top of the rootball is slightly below ground level. Fill the planting hole with soil and heel well in. Water well.
- If growing in containers, use a soil-based compost such as John Innes No. 2 or a good-quality ericaceous compost.
Aftercare Advice for Japanese maple Acer palmatum 'Phoenix':
- Keep the compost evenly moist (but not soaking) and feed in spring and early summer with a slow-release fertiliser or liquid feed such as our specialist acer feed.
- Your acer will need repotting into a slightly bigger container every couple of years in April or September.
- Wrap containers with bubble wrap in winter to protect the roots.
Pruning Advice for Japanese maple Acer palmatum 'Phoenix':
- Pruning is not necessary but can be done in late summer or early autumn if needed to remove dead or damaged branches.
Our experienced team at the nursery will always carefully package and send your plants nursery fresh in the perfect condition to thrive once you receive and plant them. Although most plants are extremely tough and will not be affected by all but the most extreme of weather conditions, we always avoid dispatching the most perishable plants if extreme frosts or heat is forecast. We also avoid dispatching orders over Bank Holiday weekends.
Please allow 5 to 7 days for your delivery to arrive. If you have ordered a 'pre-order' item, these will be sent out as soon as possible after the quoted dispatch date and we generally ship your entire order with any pre-ordered items. Once your order has been dispatched, we will send you an email with details on how you can track it.
We send most of our orders via a fully tracked courier service with Yodel. We will send you a tracking link as soon as your order has been dispatched. To avoid perishable items being stuck at depots and deteriorating, we will not require a signature on delivery, and we ask out couriers to leave your item in a safe place ad your delivery address.
*Please note, once your item has been delivered, we cannot be held responsible for loss or theft from your delivery address. If you have delivery instruction and require our courier to leave your item in a specific place, please let us know - there is an option to leave a message for the courier at the checkout.
For smaller and single-item orders, we may send these via the post with Royal Mail - Tracking will not be available for orders sent via this method.
**Please note, we cannot guarantee delivery on a certain day or time. Delivery to outlying postcode areas may take 1-2 days longer, dependent on your location.
For all orders, a small delivery fee of £4.99 will be charged or spend over £60 for FREE Delivery!
There are currently no reviews for this item.